Rooms & Facilities
The bedrooms provide comfortable beds, crisp cotton linen, soft towels and are furnished with old family heirlooms. Each room has a different colour and design to give a sense of individuality.
All rooms are on the first floor and can be reached by a staircase of red bricks “imprunetini”.
The Blue Room
The Yellow Room
The Orange Room
Our B&Bs Common Areas
The breakfast is served in the delightful veranda overlooking our garden, our guests can enjoy a rich freshly prepared breakfast including local and organic produce. Fresh milk, bread and honey from the Mugello, local pecorino cheese and ham, homemade jams, butter and youghurt, cereals, fruit juice, tea and Italian style coffee.
History of Porcigliano
Whilst the name Polcanto (the closest village) leads us back to the Etruscan presence in Mugello, the origin of the name Porcigliano dates back to Roman times.
We know that most of the current names of locations ending with ano or ana are of Latin origin,
Porcigliano had to be a great farm, we find this name mentioned in some land fractions dating back to the Longobard period and again during the Middle Ages.
These wooded places were part of the feudal territory of the Ubaldini family, lords in the Mugello up to the end of the 1300s. “In the midst of thick woods”, near Polcanto, they built a castle where it is said that the Emperor Federico Barbarossa was host during a hunting party.
The production of lumber was almost the only resource of this territory: coal went towards the Mugello, firewood towards Florence.
In a register of the Work of the Cathedral of Florence (1433), we can read of a payment made to Bino di Michele (Bino son of Michele) from Porcigliano (Polcanto) for firewood to keep the workers warm as they worked on the construction of the Cupola of the Cathedral.
We find again news of Porcigliano around 1594 when the new priest of St. Donato a Polcanto and of St. Niccolò alla Pila began to record the marriages, deaths and “tithes” to pay for the maintenance of the Church.
This is what is recorded in church documents:
- The farm of Porcigliano bushel one of wheat
- The tower of Porcigliano fourth one of wheat
- The earths of the Manti in Porcigliano measures one of wheat